Attorney Information and Training Opportunities
We provide support and training opportunities that allow you to volunteer your services to low-income families in civil legal cases.
If you would like to volunteer on a family law case and are concerned because this is not your primary area of practice, Heartland can match you with attorneys who primarily practice in family law who can serve as a mentor to help you with common questions related to family law. Click here to volunteer.
When Your Client is a Survivor:
Best Practices in Working With Victims of Violence
Join us for a presentation on the dynamics and legal aspects of domestic violence, including how you can assist clients that have experienced, or are experiencing, some form of domestic violence.
- When: Tuesday, November 18, 2014, 9:00 am to 12:30 pm
- Where:Where: 151 N. Delaware Street (the “Gold Building”), 7th Floor Conference Center, Indianapolis, IN
- Indiana CLE Credit: 3 hours NAC, 1 hour Ethics (CLE application pending)
- Cost: FREE with agreement to take 1 pro bono family law case (may or may not involve domestic violence) from Heartland and/or the Center for Victim and Human Rights (without pro bono agreement: $100 for private attorneys, $25 for full-time government attorneys, free for legal services attorneys)
This Family Law CLE Series is offered by the Heartland Pro Bono Council and the Marion County Superior Courts as part of the 2014 Marion County Pro Bono Clerkship in Family Law.
2015 Pro Bono Clerkship in Consumer Law
This one-year, unpaid clerkship starts in January, 2015, and is open to any attorney licensed to practice in Indiana. Priority will be given to newer attorneys, attorneys practicing in Marion County, and attorneys who want to focus their practices in the area of consumer law. Each clerk will be required to accept at least two (2) pre-screened pro bono cases from Heartland, and to participate in a minimum number of consumer law clinics being held at the John H. Boner Community Center. In exchange, each clerk will receive:
- 8+ hours of free CLE in consumer law with a faculty consisting of consumer law attorneys and judicial officers of the Marion Superior Court who regularly preside over consumer cases;
- Access to the Marion County civil court judicial officers via quarterly "brown bag" lunch meetings (no discussion of pending cases);
- An experienced consumer law mentor;
- Malpractice insurance coverage for the pro bono cases; and
- Hands-on experience with consumer law cases.
The application is available here. Applications are due by November 14, 2014, and can be emailed to Dana Luetzelschwab at dana.luetzelschwab.ilsi.net, or mailed to the Heartland Pro Bono Council, 1800 N. Delaware St., Suite 1800, Indianapolis, IN 46204.